Happy Friday! It’s not just Friday today, but Field Trip Friday! No, Field Trip Friday is not a holiday you forgot about or even want to celebrate, it’s my own creation. Our daughter’s school is out two Fridays per month for teacher development. I managed to take every one of those days off, and I am also keeping another kid whose Mom is a teacher. I’ve made it a goal to take the two kiddos on a field trip every Friday when there is no school. We live in such an amazing outdoor paradise, that I’m gonna make them get outside and appreciate all this area has to offer. While they would be happier just watching Curious George right now, someday they will thank me, right?
For the last field trip, we went to the Old Hundred Gold Mine Tour in Silverton, CO. They were a little unsure about going into the mine, but they absolutely loved panning for gold, which was included in the tour. Two hours with no fights or complaints! Amazing. We also went to see Colorado’s only geyser. It’s not as cool as Old Faithful, but it’s a good hike for kids ,and they got a kick out of the bubbling, stinky water. Today we are going to Mesa Verde. Both kids have been there loads of times, but it’s right in our back yard, so you really can’t go too often. We might be hiking Petroglyph Point as you read this.
Versatile Blogger Award
Tonya from Budget and the Beach has nominated me for a Versatile Blogger Award. I love awards, so thanks Tonya. I have to list 7 random thing about myself, so here goes.
1) I gave up soda this week. Since my daughter was a baby, I’ve been in the habit of getting a fountain Diet Pepsi every day. I’ve tried to quit before, but I think this is the time it sticks. It wasn’t for the money, although the extra $28 or so a month will be a nice bonus to our travel account. It was a little bit for health.
The real reason I quit, though, was so I could avoid the convenience store. If you ever want to see examples of bad parenting, poor health, or paycheck to paycheck, go to the gas station mart ever morning. If I see one more parent buying Cheetos and a Coke for their kid or one more person checking out with two packs of cigarettes and a Monster energy drink while complaining about how broke they are, I will go postal in the store and probably get arrested. Since jail would ruin Field Trip Fridays, I had to stop. Wish me luck!
2) I haven’t bought toothpaste in about 2 years. If you look, you can usually find a coupon for $.50 off Colgate toothpaste, which doubles at Kroger. They often put it on sale for $.99, so you can get it free about once every two or three months. Cheap or smart?
3) My friend is running for governor of Kentucky. Well, I was actually better friends with his wife, but one of the people I hung out with in high school very well could be Kentucky’s next governor!
4) The hardest thing I’ve ever had to do in my day job is tell someone they can’t drive anymore. It’s harder than telling them they have an eye disease or need surgery. If you want to make an 80 year old cry, tell them they aren’t safe to operate a motor vehicle.
5) I can say hello, look up, look down, and look to the side in Navajo.
6) I am super clumsy on land, but can swim like a fish. I think it would have been cool to be in the Coast Guard, but I get sick on boats, so it probably wouldn’t have worked out so well.
7) After my journey out of debt, I really find that I don’t like gifts at all. I appreciate them, but there isn’t much that I want or need that I can’t buy for myself, usually after looking for a great deal. I would be happy never to get a gift again, but I know Jim will not go along with that. He likes to give gifts. Do you think it would work for him to deposit money into our savings account and wrap up the deposit slip?
Was that random enough? What’s your favorite outdoor activity? Have a great weekend!
FREE Stuff Delivered to Your Inbox!
Subscribe and be the first to get notified of new surveys, giveaways and sweepstakes from your local retailers.