Happy Friday everyone. Since we are already a quarter into this year, I though it was time for a life and goal update.
We Have a Job!
We are very excited this week because we found out that Jim actually has a job next year! Well, we knew could always go back into the classroom, but that would have been a huge cut in pay. His current job was based on a new state education bill that has since been repealed, along with his position. (Love it when politicians make rules about stuff they have no clue about) Anyway, he did such a great job last year that his superiors created a job for him that will be 80% school administration and 20% working to train quality teachers throughout our region. He also got a small bump in pay, so did I say how happy we are?
His job will require some long hours and travel, and it’s dang hard to get our kiddo to and from where she needs to be when he’s busy and I have to work. I could cut my hours, but I feel like it’s only been a short while since we’ve been firing on all cylinders financially, so I’d hate to let off the gas. However, if we can’t get the kid to school, I might have to consider changing. I had my career time in the spotlight, now it’s his turn. If only we could get a grandparent to move closer!
2014 Goals Update
So now that we don’t have to worry about our income being reduced, we can continue on with our 2014 goals.
You can view my goals here, but to briefly recap,
Invest 25% of my income into retirement. Pass! I have income from one W2 position, two 1099 jobs, and online income. Of my total income this year, 55% has gone into my new retirement plan. Of my 1099 income, 80% went to the 401k, 10% went to the HSA, and 5% has gone to charity. I’m trying to minimize taxes as much as possible.
A few short years ago, I never invested more than 3% of my income. I am only able to invest most of it now because we don’t have consumer debt and don’t spend money on stupid stuff anymore.
Health Savings Account
Max out our family HSA and invest it for retirement health costs. Pass. On track to max out by year’s end.
Give 5% of my income away. Pass
Run a Half Marathon
Fail. I can’t seem to avoid injuries. We’ll see what the rest of the year brings.
Increase Blog Income by 50%
Fail. Blog income is not up by 50%, but I have had some writing and editing jobs to boost my online income. I feel confident that my new partnership with Grayson is going to pay off, but it will take a while to fix all the things I’ve been doing wrong for the past year and a half!
Other Blog News
There have been some exciting blog things happening recently.
Eyes on the Dollar was mentioned on Business Insider and Million Mile Secrets. We are at #33 on the Modest Money Top Finance Blogs List. Be sure to register your blog if you haven’t.
In other blog news, my friend Laurie at The Frugal Farmer has written a new ebook called How to Teach Your Kids About Money. I had the pleasure of reading it earlier this week, and it’s a very simple, but effective guide to let parents know how to talk about money without making it taboo or worrisome to children. Laurie is a mother of 4 and I truly enjoy reading about her journey from surburban Jones keeper upper to homesteader with a plan to get out of debt and live life as it was meant to be lived.
And here are some other great posts around the web you should check out if you can.
It Takes Money To Save Money at Enemy of Debt. Better deals abound for those not living paycheck to paycheck!
Music Mondays-More To Life at Financially Blond. Just because you look the part doesn’t mean happiness.
A Year of Bike Commuting at Planting Our Pennies. I think that’s awesome, although I could never pull it off.
Ultimate Side Hustle: Become a Millionaire at No Nonsense Landlord. The right mindset goes a long way.
How are your goals holding up so far?
FREE Stuff Delivered to Your Inbox!
Subscribe and be the first to get notified of new surveys, giveaways and sweepstakes from your local retailers.